Sunday, May 24, 2015

The Start of Module 3

After the last five days of wrestling with Joomla, I think I won! 

Cherese Joomla Website


What I've Learned So Far

Module 1 showed me that social media is prevalent in academic and public libraries. It is mostly used to broadcast information to library users and potential library users. There is some debate about who should be in charge of social networking site (SNS) maintenance and how to evaluate its effectiveness. Each library has to determine its goal for social networking sites. They have to have a strategic plan for implementing and maintaining the accounts. I also learned
that what works for one library does not mean it will work for another. The libraries considering using SNS should support the staff in learning and experimenting with an account before throwing them out into cyberspace.

An example of the type of experimenting I speak of took place over the last five days when I tangled with Joomla a content management system (CMS). In Module 2 I had hands-on experience with a system called Joomla. Although Joomla is not the most popular CMS out there--it seems--the system has some valuable aspects. I can easily see the usefulness of having a product like this that separates content from format. It allows more novice users to utilize the site and contribute without needing extensive technical knowledge. Just taking it one step at a time and learning as you go is my recommendation.

Now I await Module 3 and wonder what I will learn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment