Monday, May 18, 2015

Emerging into Web 2.0

Web 2.0



When we last met, I was explaining my journey in technology from the Web 1.0 side. Now follow me as we emerge into awesome possibilities of Web 2.0.

The Workforce (2004-2011): I was still basically using the Internet to email at this time. There were very few websites that I visited and no social media. I checked out my books at the library and learned to use the online catalog to look up books. At work, I used computers to enter information into databases. The Internet was mainly used to look up directions on Mapquest. I did try to create a website but it was difficult to use and not very appealing. I had a MySpace account. Come to think of it, I think I still do. Although I didn't realize that Web 2.0 had emerged from Web 1.0 at the time, I see the transition in hindsight.

Web 2.0 (2011-Present): The year I decided to publish my second fiction book, a college friend of mine said, "Why don't you brand yourself? Get a blog." What was a blog? I had no idea, but she helped me build one. From there, my Web 2.0 training began. I became a blogger on WordPress. I set up accounts on Goodreads and Facebook. I started following blogs and subscribing to RSS feeds. I discovered Smashwords.com and Amazon.com and learned how to format my own book and upload it for eBook distribution. I began purchasing items on the internet. At the library, I changed my log in credentials and renewed books. I became a Pinterest junkie. My food intake is being monitored by MyFitnessPal and I use my phone as an alarm clock.

Now I am on Twitter for this class. I can see the value in it, but I do not foresee a long term use on my part. But we shall see.

In short, I have become well versed in social media. Even if I haven't used it, I have heard of it. There is still so much to learn and next time, I'll discuss my expectations for MLIS 7505-Applied Tech Library Practice at Valdosta State University....after I build a wiki (whatever that is).

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cherese! Um... quick question... what is Web 1.0?? I realized I've used the term Web 2.0 without even considering that something came before it...

    Anyway, I, too, love using gadgets and apps for measuring biometrics and exercise! I have never used MyFitnessPal, but I use LoseIt! and FitBit. It's crazy how technology like that has become so integrated into our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From my understanding of the reading, it was the age before Web 2.0 with dial up Internet connect and less interactivity with the web. It was more for database information retrieval and emailing. I think :)

    ReplyDelete